Thursday, April 5, 2018

What I'm Reading = Bread


I just finished a delightful book called "Sourdough" by Robin Sloan and you guessed it, it's a book about making Sourdough bread, well, the book is so much more than that, but reading about the process of making bread made ME want to make some bread too.


I have a bread making machine that my grandmother re-gifted to me because she never used it and we have used it in the past and it works great but I've also read and been told that we can bake a loaf of bread in a cast iron French oven and I just happen to have a few of those also, plus I can then use my experience as a marketing tool at my part time job selling French cookware.

There are a lot of bread recipes out there if you're going to use a French oven to bake.  Most of the information I was reading stated that it's better to use no knead dough for French oven baking.   My first foray was using the first recipe I found using Chef Google.  Four simple ingredients; flour, yeast, salt and warm water.


I wish I could say that my first try was a completely successful, but I can't.  It's wasn't a complete failure, but I think I know where I went wrong and I will correct those things the next time I try which will probably be in the next couple of days because the aroma in the house alone was worth it.

As you can see, it looked beautiful coming out of the oven but I messed up and cut into it too soon (how can you resist with the smell?) AND after all that, I realized I forgot the salt.  lol


So, the next time, I have a recipe from King Arthur Flour - No Knead Crusty White Bread and I've read the following article on their website; Bread Baking in a Dutch Oven and I'm going to give it another whirl........this time I may try the cold Dutch Oven method they suggest also; Bread Baking in a cold Dutch oven

I'm keep you posted...the upside of all this experimentation is how good our house smells.





No comments: