Friday, August 25, 2017

It's finally happening.......


After 13 years of a master closet that I hated and that I have fought with to find a workable solution to our clothes and my shoes and purses, we are finally going to gut it and re-work the shelving system. 

This has become necessary now because we are going to put new carpet in our master bedroom and that includes the closet floor.

Our master closet has this awkward wooden built in (see below) set right in the middle of the back wall and it is wasting at least 6 to 8 linear feet of hanging space.  As you can see, I use canvas bins and baskets as storage within the built in, but it also makes the space dark and the clothes that hang to the back of our closet get "lost" because of it.........so I want it gone!


So, we need to get that built in out of there before we can proceed with carpet, but since we are demoing the closet, we might as well re-configure it and give it a fresh coat of paint, especially since it looks like we'll be staying put for awhile.

Unfortunately our budget does not include those fabulous wooden closet systems, I checked out Martha Stewart's line of wooden closet systems but I'm not going to spend 3k on a closet do-over and our master closet isn't that large, just 6' deep and 7' across.

So, knowing wood was out of the question, I went to Lowe's.com and looked at their Rubbermaid coated wire closet systems and accessories and found exactly what we need for under $300.00.

I'm hoping to empty the closet today so tomorrow the husband can take on the task of demoing that built in out, then I can paint, using the same Sherwin Williams Dover White (SW 6385) that all the closets are painted.  Once the painting is done, we can start installing the closet system. 

We also decided to take the door off the closet permanently, or at least until we decide to sell because where the closet is located nobody but myself and husband see it and although the husband doesn't know this yet, we'll be replacing the light fixture also because it's doesn't do the job.  So between the door off and a new fixture, it should help immensely.

Now days, I'm not as fast at completing home projects as I used to be so I'm hoping that we get this project done before the 16th of September when we leave for our 30th Anniversary "honeymoon" in Estes Park, Colorado.

Enjoy your weekend!  and I'm keep my blog updated with our progress.  I'm excited!





No comments: