Saturday, April 19, 2008

Had a bit of excitement yesterday while I was at work and no, it's wasn't the earthquake tremor that I felt at 10:15am yesterday morning (BTDT when I lived in San Diego), but I received a phone call from my Aunt Jan, my Uncle Dic's wife telling me that my Aunt Helen (she was married to my Uncle Jerry before he passed away and we lived down the street from them for 16 years) was in the hospital and was in pretty bad shape with a pulmonary embolism...YIKES! She had surgery on her back on Wednesday, was doing great, walking, talking, feeling good and ready to leave the hospital on Friday when Thursday night, the nurse on duty noticed that her blood saturation levels weren't normal and called her doctor. He ordered some test and the embolism was discovered so late Thursday night, she headed back to surgery for the installation of some type of screen on her artery to prevent any other clots from going to her lungs.

I left work and ran up the Mercy (I HATE THAT HOSPITAL) to see how she was doing and to talk with my cousin Pat and Denise. She's very lucky she was still in the hospital when the embolism was discovered. This could have very easily killed her.

For as sick as she is, she looked pretty good and was in pretty good spirits. Unfortunately, she is going to be in the hospital a lot longer than she initially was going to be. I was relieved to see her in pretty good shape.

I've come down with another head cold so I'm sticking close to home this weekend. I blame my Aunt Susie for this one as we met on Monday to pick out a spot at Glendale cemetary to inter Mom and then we went out to lunch. Susie was sick all last week with a terrible cold, so I probably caught it from her. I'm about ready to start living in a bubble since cold germs seem to like me ALOT.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Goodness...that is scary. Your Aunt is very lucky, indeed. I know of a couple of ppl who have succumbed to that very thing. Scary stuff.

Hope you feel better soon! Maybe spring will get here this week and we'll ALL feel better!

janalee said...

Wow. I am so glad they caught your aunt's embolism in the hospital! I hope she can recover quickly from that, and the back surgery.